Community Service Intern
General Internship Information
- Business Area: Project Management
- Location: Beijing
- Duration: 3 months - 6 months
- Allowance: 0.00 CNY
- Other benefits:
- Reference: 824
One of the guesthouse’s core values is community, from small to big: from their small guesthouse family to the village of Sanduhe to the rest of the world where their guests come from. With the support of the entire staff, this intern will have the opportunity to develop and organize a community service project using the guesthouse’s resources in a creative and transformative way.
- Utilizing the guesthouse’s resources to design a community service project (How can the guesthouse support its community using the resources that they have?)
- Writing a project proposal to present to the entire team for feedback and consent
- Organizing materials, people, schedule, and any other details involved
- Leading a team to support you in carrying out the service project
- Getting to know the community they will be working with
- strong will and commitment to follow through, from start to finish, with your community service project
- able to lead and work closely with a team
- compassion and commitment to service
- an open mind and willingness to learn from others
- creativity and resourcefulness: how can they utilize the guesthouse’s resources (i.e. bilingual staff, their Western influence from the global community, our space, etc.) to maximize the impact of the community service project?
- fluency in Chinese and at least conversational English (must be able to communicate with the people you will be working with)
What the internship offers you:
- firsthand experience of living in a rural Chinese village
- opportunity to be part of a startup organization where your voice will be heard and have an impact on our organization’s growth
- room to develop your own ideas (both Little Yard and non-LY related) — we encourage creativity and love new ideas!!
- to work closely with a team that will support you in carrying out your ideas
- travel opportunities / site visits
- 50 RMB allowance per day with meals, lodging and transportation provided during work days
- Part-time position: Must be able to stay in the guesthouse at least 6 nights per month.
-Full-time position: Must be able to live at the guesthouse for at least 3 months (with 4 non-weekend days off, i.e. Sunday through Thursday)
- required training period of one week. During this week the intern will stay at the guesthouse to get familiarized with the guesthouse and what they do.
This company is a five-room guesthouse refurnished from a traditional Chinese
courtyard in Sanduhe Village of Huairou District, just 5km from Mutianyu Great Wall.
More than just a lodging, they are a social enterprise with a unique organizational
philosophy built on the concepts of 和 and 意. 和 or ”hé” ＝ balance | 意 or “yì” = meaningfulness
They seek balance (和) between mother nature and human beings, embodied in every
aspect of teh guesthouse from food to architecture to how they operate their business. In their
meals they balance “yin” foods with “yang” ingredients to nourish theri bodies; in their
guest rooms they balance comfort and simplicity while preserving the authenticity of their
space; in their yard they balance nature with functionality; and while the guesthouse’s staff is
committed to creating a welcoming and relaxing environment, they encourage guests to
be independent from helping themselves to beverages to clearing their own used
dishes, and therefore truly feel at home away from home.
意 (yì) is a concept that can only be understood by experience, and is the driving force
behind how the guesthouse operates. As a lodging, they try to foster an environment in which staff
and guests feel balance (和) during their stay. As a social enterprise, they aim to involve
and to give back to their community, as well as to protect the natural environment. They
do so in various ways such as growing their own food or sourcing them locally, upcycling
building materials, hiring local staff and offering a free bi-monthly cooking workshop.