Hospitality and Tourism Intern
General Internship Information
- Business Area: Hospitality
- Emplacement: Beijing
- Duration: 3 months - 6 months
- Allowance: 50.00 CNY
- Other benefits:
- Reference: 825
The Hospitality and Tourism Intern is the face of the guesthouse; this individual will understand the guesthouse’s philosophy deeply and be able to express this to their guests just by being. This intern will work closely with the duty manager to ensure that every detail of the business is in place, keeping in mind that each task involved in daily operations affects their guests. Therefore from arranging a car service on time, to the tone of voice when speaking to guests, to coordinating with our “ayis”, this intern plays a fundamental role in keeping the guesthouse running.
- support in daily operations
- guest relations: answering calls, check-in/check-out, handling lodging and
meal reservations, etc.
- travel arrangements: purchasing tickets, planning itinerary, arranging car
- maintaining environment: ensuring spaces are clean, checking guest rooms
- working closely with the duty manager
- building and maintaining the LY client database
- communicating regularly with the “ayis” and duty manager
- organized and detail-oriented
- fluency in English and Chinese
- strong communication skills — involves a lot of coordination with the ayis, the manager, and guests
- an open mind and willingness to learn
- interest in Chinese culture and sustainable living
- 50 RMB allowance per day with meals, lodging and transportation provided during work days
- Part-time position: Must be able to stay in the guesthouse at least 6 nights per month.
-Full-time position: Must be able to live at the guesthouse for at least 3 months (with 4 non-weekend days off, i.e. Sunday through Thursday)
- required training period of one week. During this week the intern will stay at the guesthouse to get familiarized with the guesthouse and what they do.
This company is a five-room guesthouse refurnished from a traditional Chinese
courtyard in Sanduhe Village of Huairou District, just 5km from Mutianyu Great Wall.
More than just a lodging, they are a social enterprise with a unique organizational
philosophy built on the concepts of 和 and 意. 和 or ”hé” ＝ balance | 意 or “yì” = meaningfulness
They seek balance (和) between mother nature and human beings, embodied in every
aspect of teh guesthouse from food to architecture to how they operate their business. In their
meals they balance “yin” foods with “yang” ingredients to nourish theri bodies; in their
guest rooms they balance comfort and simplicity while preserving the authenticity of their
space; in their yard they balance nature with functionality; and while the guesthouse’s staff is
committed to creating a welcoming and relaxing environment, they encourage guests to
be independent from helping themselves to beverages to clearing their own used
dishes, and therefore truly feel at home away from home.
意 (yì) is a concept that can only be understood by experience, and is the driving force
behind how the guesthouse operates. As a lodging, they try to foster an environment in which staff
and guests feel balance (和) during their stay. As a social enterprise, they aim to involve
and to give back to their community, as well as to protect the natural environment. They
do so in various ways such as growing their own food or sourcing them locally, upcycling
building materials, hiring local staff and offering a free bi-monthly cooking workshop.