Volunteer Program Content
Combine volunteering experience with Chinese language studies
Hutong School’s China Volunteer Program offers the combination of a volunteering assignment in a China-based NGO, Chinese classes, cultural and NGO-focused activities, accommodation and general practical assistance.
What does the Volunteer Program include?
• Volunteering placement
• Accommodation in single/double rooms in modern apartments in central Beijing or Shanghai
• Chinese classes (6 hours/week) in small groups (or 3 hours private classes per week for students without suitable group)
• Organization of weekly activities such as lectures, excursions, cultural activities, charity activities, NGO round-ups, etc.
• Airport pick-up
• Additional services such as assistance with Chinese visa application, registration in Beijing or Shanghai, networking support, travel inquiries, ticket booking, etc.
Not included are:
• Plane ticket; so as to increase flexibility for all students.
• Insurance; in order to participate in our programs you have to buy your own travel insurance for the whole duration of your stay before program start.
Who can take part in the Volunteer Program?
The Volunteer Program is open to any applicant, regardless of nationality, gender or origin. Minimum required age is 18 years old. All candidates must have experience or a demonstrable interest in volunteer work.
When does the Volunteer in China Program start? How long does it last?
Your program can start any time of the year, preferably at the beginning of the month.
The length of the volunteer program can be chosen according to your wishes, ranging from 1 to 12 months.
How can I apply for the Volunteer Program?
By filling out the online application form. We will get back to you within two working days and start your NGO-placement process. You will then be sent a questionnaire, and we will conduct an interview with you through Skype. Afterwards we will send you an NGO offer based on your interests and qualifications. The application is free of charge and non-binding.
Not everyone can be placed in the Program. If you are not admitted into the Volunteer Program, we will notify you in a timely manner. If that is the case, we advise you to take part in the Intensive Chinese Program, as speaking Chinese will greatly improve your chances of getting a volunteering job at a later stage.